Tape and Glue: First Aid For Men Erik Miller 2 Comments Duct Tape and First Aid “Yup, that’s going to need four stitches.” “Ya, I’m not going to get stitches.” I don’t know how many times you have heard this conversation but if you play sports and adventure as much as I do you actually hear it pretty often. In this case it was a nice elbow perfectly placed to my left Supraorbital Foramen on the outside. The blow left a nice cut right across my eyebrow. The blood I thought was sweat until someone practically tackled me with a towel. End of my game. A couple of butterfly band aids and some ice and I’m good to go. I didn’t need the Duct tape until I was cooking dinner and my eye collected enough blood to pop my temporary bond and started bleeding again. Eliciting a cry of “Get the hell out of my kitchen.” A little bandage and some Duct tape and I’m repaired. However, I did start thinking about what exactly I should have in my gym bag and my back pack. A little research produces an amazing amount of mis-information and an unbelievable amount of combinations of first aid kits. Now you can go the easy route and just buy a few kits and throw them into your vehicles, [amazon_link id="B000IEH6GE" target="_blank" ]gym bag[/amazon_link], and miscellaneous [amazon_link id="B003TWZGRI" target="_blank" ]go bags[/amazon_link]. But, that path made me a few dollars light and carrying around a lot of “just in case” crap. When the family is adventuring I error on the safe side and bring the extra stuff. When its just me, just the basics. The minimum: 1. Butterfly Band Aids – I don’t know if these are more effective than anything else but they seem to work well on small thin cuts. 2. [amazon_link id="B000RPSZ50" target="_blank" ]Self-Grip Athletic Tape[/amazon_link] – This works great for when everyone is trying to stop you from scoring by cutting you up with uncut finger nails. A little tape over the cuts and no stoppage in play. Butterfly Band Aids and Self-Grip Tape pretty much covers 98% of your needs. The Other 2%: 1. [amazon_link id="B0006GDBT0" target="_blank" ]New-Skin:[Health and Beauty][/amazon_link] This stuff is like glue only for your skin. There are different brands but I go for the one with pain killer and antiseptic in it. 2. Pain Killer: Your choice of course. I have used Jack Daniels on tooth aches (works after about 15 min. at least for me), but Ibuprofen is probably easiest to carry. With these four items and a little imagination you should be able to handle everything except the most dramatic of issues. I have extensive field medical training from the Marines and many hours of commercial First Aid training under my belt. I suggest you do the same. These classes are offered constantly at local gyms, fire stations, and schools around the U.S. If you’re going to do some serious adventure far away from civilization, well that’s a different article. MMF Gear Guide:[amazon_link id="B000053519" target="_blank" ]First Aid Only Outdoor First Aid Kit, Soft Case, 205-Piece Kit[/amazon_link], [amazon_link id="B000G7WRBC" target="_blank" ]Adventure Medical Kits UltraLight & Watertight .7 Kit[/amazon_link], [amazon_link id="B003L2FWES" target="_blank" ]M-Tape Colored Athletic Tape – Black, 6 Rolls[/amazon_link][amazon_link id="B002MPRT6Y" target="_blank" ]Elite Forces Survival Bowie Knife[/amazon_link] Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInGooglePinterestPocketEmailMoreStumbleUponTumblrPrintReddit 2 Responses Chris Maxcer 06/21/2012 That self-grip athletic tape is pretty amazing stuff. I usually just keep a roll of regular athletic tape in my basketball bag, though — after a while, guys know you have tape and they ask to borrow it when there’s a cut . . . and sometimes for a quick finger wrap. Nice to keep the ball games going and be the guy who can help out — not bad for a few bucks. Log in to Reply Gabe 06/29/2012 I did that with my sharp elbows to your head! So, These are the 2 supplies I keep in my gym bag. 1.)Sports tape- “Coach” Brand by Johnson and Johnson. Found this to be the stickiest on and easiest off. 2.) Advil-No pain, no gain When I sprained my ankle again a friend of mine had in his gym bag a instant ice cold compress pack. These are pretty sweet as you just bend the bag and you have instant ice. Swear saved me from a even worse sprain, as I had a 30min drive home ahead of me. For all bruises, sprains, joint pain, muscle tears, etc. I swear by this stuff-www.tropi-ceel.com Its a topical cream with all types of good stuff in it.I put it on a nasty nasty sprain and I healed in like 2 weeks. Log in to Reply Leave a Reply Cancel Reply You must be logged in to post a comment.